Who we are: The Status Now Network is a growing coalition of 140+ organisations and community action groups who are campaigning for Status Now 4 All undocumented migrants and migrants in the legal process.
What we are calling for:
We call upon the British and Irish States to act immediately so that all undocumented, destitute and migrant people in the legal process in both the UK and Ireland are granted Status Now, as in *Leave to Remain. In this way every human, irrespective of their nationality or citizenship, can access healthcare, housing, food and the same sources of income from the State as everyone else.
*Indefinite Leave to Remain/settled status #statusnow4all #healthandsafetyforall
The originating letter in full is here https://statusnow4all.org/status-now-4-all-this-is-our-call/
This is a link to updates to the Status Now call: https://statusnow4all.org/category/status-now-call-updates/
The Reference Group has agreed the membership of a Core Group to steer the development of the campaign alongside Anna Marsden who is paid as the National Development Coordinator.
Members of the current Core Group are:
• Co-Chairs – Loraine Mponela from CARAG – Coventry Asylum and Refugee Action Group and Ibrahim Alimamy Bangura from RAPAR – Refugee and Asylum Participatory Action Research;
• Secretary – Don Flynn from the People’s Tribunal;
• Treasurer – Susan Cuerva – Kanlungan Filipino Consortium;
• Convenor of Regional Coordinators – Mariam Yusuf of WAST – Women Asylum Seekers Together, Manchester
The list of ‘Organisation Signatories’ is here: https://statusnow4all.org/signatory-organisations-to-our-campaign/
Join our network: https://statusnow4all.org/join-our-network/
Why we are calling for Status Now 4 All:
Everyone has the right to be in an environment where they can follow the Public Health directives necessary to limit COVID-19 viral transmission to the absolute minimum and to care for themselves, their loved ones and their living and working communities.
It is imperative – being in everyone’s best interests – that the basic needs of all are met.
The current challenges faced by those who are undocumented or who have insecure immigration status in the UK and Ireland:
People living in extreme poverty and/or destitution and/or without immigration status in the UK or Ireland and/or without access to the NHS or the Irish Health System:
- Are unable to socially isolate as needed
- Cannot access health care, and income and other social support
- Cannot contribute openly and without fear, to making the population as safe as possible, alongside everyone else.
We can’t #controlthevirus unless we give everyone the same access to healthcare, housing, food and welfare. #StatusNow
Can’t #stayhome if you don’t have one! Grant #StatusNow to all undocumented, destitute migrant people to #savelives
#StatusNow4All #HealthAndSafetyForAll in order to #SaveLives #StayHome #ControlTheVirus
Status Now Glossary of Key terms: https://statusnow4all.org/status-now-network-glossary-of-key-terms/