Status Now 4 All Network: Comms and social media volunteer(s)
Status Now 4 All Network (Status Now) came into existence in the spring of 2020 as an initiative of migrant and refugee justice campaigns in the UK. Over 130 organisations have endorsed the Network’s demand on the government to grant a secure right of residence to the estimated 1.5 million people currently living with a precarious immigration status and who are at constant risk of exploitation and loss of rights as a consequence.
Status Now is campaigning for change and it works for this by giving voice to people in the migrant and refugee communities whose situation needs to be better understood by the British public. When the extent of the injustices which migrants and refugees currently have to endure is understood across all people we believe we will have the momentum needed to achieve our key demand: Status Now for All!
To develop and strengthen our campaigning work we are now actively recruiting volunteers for our team of communications and social media activists. We are looking for people with lived experience of the immigration control system who will work with us as bloggers in Facebook, Twitter, Instragram, WhatsApp, and other social media platforms.
Here’s what will be done with this campaigning work:
- Writing copy for SNN social media accounts (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter) and website
- Identifying opportunities / current events relevant to SNN’s work and drafting statements on news / relevant political event, e.g. new immigration legislation, news item
- Helping with writing and structuring SNN’s monthly newsletter
- General proofreading and comms support
- Good oral and written communications skills
- Knowledge of Facebook, Instagram, Twitter
- High attention to detail
- Experience using Canva and MailChimp
- Flexible schedule and availability during office hours with occasional evening and weekend work
- Knowledge of the UK immigration system and issues facing migrants
Support to be given
- Induction: you will be properly inducted and guided throughout your volunteering with us, with access materials and resources about the work SNN and members do and other relevant information to support your volunteering
- Training: as a SNN volunteer you will have access to trainings and workshops organised by SNN and other specialist providers on mental health and immigration, welfare, healthcare and other rights
- Supervision and support: You will work with a team of other volunteers who are also working in the SNN social media and campaigns.
- Any cost you may incur with performing your volunteer work will be reimbursed
Time commitment: 5 hours a week, online.