Women and our children escaping persecution, war and ecological devastation, have a right to asylum and support.
LAUNCH OF: Up from Destitution, a survey of women seeking asylum and making immigration applications in the UK. Nearly half of the women surveyed had no income at all and 60% are living on an income so low that they are officially destitute.
All African Women’s Group (AAWG) – a self-help group of women seeking asylum
Refuge from Rape and Destitution – an initiative of Women Against Rape to end injustices in the asylum system and destitution imposed by government.
PANELLISTS WILL ADDRESS:
· What persecution women are running from when we seek safety in the UK
· Protecting children – those left behind and those here
· Why we end up destitute and the ‘No Recourse to Public Funds’ policy
· The racist hostile environment against immigrants and asylum seekers
· The sexist discrimination against survivors of rape and domestic violence
· How destitution increases the risk of abuse and exploitation
· Women, with and without papers, organising together to defeat deportation and destitution
HOSTED BY: Cristel Amiss, Global Women Against Deportations, a coalition which includes: AAWG @AfricanGrp, Legal Action for Women, Women Against Rape @AgainstRape, Women of Colour Global Women’s Strike @woc_gws.
Register free on Eventbrite here
For more information contact: firstname.lastname@example.org 0207 482 2496
***Click here on our events category for more events coming up***